Whichard Building at ECU
This project is a comprehensive renovation of the Whichard Building, originally constructed in 1923 as the University’s Library. The historic 2-story solid brick building was remodeled for music instruction in 1954 and again in 1967 to house the Admissions Department. The scope of work includes abatement, removal of all interior walls, stairs, mechanical, plumbing, and electrical systems and rebuilding to meet current codes. Additionally, this project will add an elevator to serve the second-floor levels of both the original building and annex. The exterior breezeway and stair will be demolished, and a building addition will enclose the connection between the two structures with conditioned space. Once completed it will become the new home of the Thomas Harriot College of Arts and Sciences’ offices, as well as office space for the Foreign Languages and Literature department.